We have looked at several interesting backpacking books, but there are just a few that we highly recommend and urge you to include on your reading list.
Our criteria for including books on our recommended list is:
• Rich with useful information
• Authors have years of backpacking experience
• Chapters go in-depth and actually teach the reader best practices for safe backpacking treks
• Inexpensive (available in paperback)
• Covers all the basics that a beginning backpacker needs to know
• Will also be interesting and useful to experienced backpackers
Based on these principles, here are reviews of our highly recommended books for backpackers:
Written by the "grand-daddy of modern backpacking," this revised and updated fourth edition of The Complete Walker is a delightful reading adventure in addition to being a very useful reference book.
Read our review of The Complete Walker IV.
Written by the director of Princeton University's Outdoor Action program, this wonderful little book is the ultimate guide to planning a backpacking trip -- either for yourself and a friend or for a large group like Boy Scouts.
Read our review of The Backpacker's Field Manual.